21.4.10

A Tasty Read

Posted by Stephanie |



THIS BLOG HAS MOVED. IT IS NOW AT SEARED.CA. CLICK HERE TO BE REDIRECTED.


I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love the combination of literature and food - and, "Like Water for Chocolate" is no exception.

This book, written by Laura Esquirel, is a beauty. The first time I read it was when I went on my first major trip abroad, when I was eighteen. My mom's best friend suggested it, and at that point in time I really wasn't much of a reader. A writer, yes, but not much of a reader. So I bought the book, brought it with me, and opened it up on the first day. Sitting on a rocky beach, I read and read and pulled my towel back away from the tide as it came in. I read until daylight was gone, and continued reading the next day. This is the book that started it all for me, its beautiful words inspired me, and its beautiful recipes inspired me even more.

Cooking Show
The story follows Tita, a young woman, and life with her family, love, and troubles. There's war, drama, comedy - everything you need in a good book. What makes this read so wonderful is that Tita literally pours her emotions into her cooking - whatever she is feeling while she is cooking goes into the food she prepares, and then is passed on to whoever eats the food.

Each chapter begins with a recipe. There are twelve of them, one for each month, and each of the recipes are specific to what is going on in the book. My favourite recipe is October's Cream Fritters.

Can't get your hands on the book right away? Satisfy your cravings with some authentic Mexican food. Mexican Food Recipes is a great website purely dedicated to authentic Mexican recipes. It also gives you a little extra info about Mexican food customs, traditions, and ingredients.

Here's a mouthwatering recipe for Mexican-Style Seafood Paella.

Want more delectable food articles? Check out Wanderfood Wednesday on Wanderlust and Lipstick!





Follow us on Twitter: @searedfoodblog

1 comments:

jessiev said...

i, too, loved that book. great recipes - thanks!

Post a Comment

Subscribe