21.3.10

When In Rome...

Posted by Stephanie |



THIS BLOG HAS MOVED. IT IS NOW AT SEARED.CA. CLICK HERE TO BE REDIRECTED.


"When in Rome, do as the Romans do." We've all heard that saying, and we all know that it means you are supposed to act as the people do, wherever it is that you are. Know what's included in that? Eating the food.

When you're travelling, you're bound to come across that person, or group of people, who is adamant on finding the McDonalds or Starbucks. What they don't realize is that they're missing out on one of the most important cultural experiences one can have when visiting another place. Food is one of the easiest ways to connect to others - and people are usually so eager to share their food with you, to let you in to their essence.

What has been your most exciting food adventure while traveling?

Last summer, a woman at a market in Southern Thailand hand-fed me a coconut dessert because I couldn't speak Thai, but she wanted me to know how the dessert tasted (when I say hand-fed, I truly mean she put her hand inside of my mouth...). I've had multiple course meals with families who also didn't speak English, and taken lamb meat right off the spit during a festival in a French village. I've eaten crickets out of a bucket on a street in Cambodia. Here in Canada, I've eaten raw clams and oysters straight out of the ocean, because that's how it's done out east. When in Rome...

What is the craziest thing you've ever eaten?
Follow us on Twitter: @searedfoodblog

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe