15.4.10

Our Food, Their Way

Posted by Stephanie |



THIS BLOG HAS MOVED. IT IS NOW AT SEARED.CA. CLICK HERE TO BE REDIRECTED.


You know how sometimes when you're travelling, you crave food from home, and, no matter what, that food will just not taste the same? As I've said before, it's important to just give in to a culture - and that includes the food (even the stuff you crave from home).

Last summer, I was on a secluded, bizarrely relaxing little area called Haad Yuan on Koh Phangan, Thailand. Anyone who is familiar with the island will immediately think of the infamous Full Moon Party and think, "Stephanie is insane. There is nothing relaxing about it." But you're wrong. There's an immense amount of yoga retreats, meditation centres, and detox facilities. I wasn't there for any of that, I just wanted a little break from the crowds and some healthy food before embarking on my sixth (yes, sixth!) Full Moon Party.

So I went up to this restaurant on a giant mound of limestone off the sea, and ordered a tuna salad. I had no idea what to expect, but it sounded good.

When I think of tuna salad, I think of the tuna, mayo, lemon juice, pickles, celery, cheese, green onion concoction that I make at home and eat with celery sticks and baked tortilla chips (try it, it's delightful). This, however, was not my concoction.


It arrived in a huge bowl that resembled a soufflé dish, with enough food in it to feed two people. There was an orchid beautifully rested on the side of the dish, proving that once again, where food is concerned, looks are everything.

There was so much going on in this salad that I was actually a little afraid to try it; the combination of ingredients was off putting, and there were some things in there that I would never consider putting together. But, alas, I was hungry, and hunger conquers all. I took a bite, and it was delicious. A little confusing at first, but after two or three bites I was hooked. My food, their way, was so surprising and tasty, that I was actually excited to go home and make it myself.

So, if you're feeling a little adventurous, and willing to give it a chance, here's my recipe. Just add whatever amount of each ingredient you think is best.

Butter or romaine lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
Purple cabbage, shredded
Canned flaked light tuna in water, drained
Corn niblets
Green olives, sliced
Tomatoes, chopped
Cucumbers, sliced
Balsamic vinegar, drizzled (or vinaigrette, if you prefer your salad to be a little less tangy)
Salt and pepper, to taste

Follow us on Twitter: @searedfoodblog

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe