14.3.10

An Angry Burger, A Happy Belly

Posted by Stephanie |



THIS BLOG HAS MOVED. IT IS NOW AT SEARED.CA. CLICK HERE TO BE REDIRECTED.


Today I went to my favourite place on earth: Canmore, Alberta. It's close to home, smack dab in the middle of the mountains, and home to my favourite restaurant, The Grizzly Paw Brewery.


The Paw is a bit of an institution in Canmore, popular with the locals and tourists alike. The decor is fun, woodsy, and there are bear warning signs scattered throughout. The menu is expansive, and very Canadian. I however, am a creature of habit, so I tend to stick to my few favourites.

My pick of the day was the Angry Burger. The Angry Burger is "For those who like it hot!" - creole seasoning, jalapenos, and the Paw's own Rutting Elk BBQ Sauce. It's spicy, but not unbearably so, and the lettuce, tomatoes, and onions that come with every burger help cool it down a bit. With any of the burger selections you have the choice between beef, bison (if you've never had bison, it's like leaner, more flavourful beef), chicken, or veggie - I like the chicken breasts, as they're always moist and perfectly cooked, but my second choice would certainly be the bison.


With my burger I had the Granny's Mountain Roughage - which is a tasty salad I have tried to recreate, but I seem to always lack something - perhaps it's because I am not a granny nor in the mountains when I try to make it. This salad has a spring mix of greens, diced cucumbers and beets, shredded carrots and cheese, and chopped boiled eggs. The dressing is a really light, almost undetectable vinaigrette.

And for the best part - the beer. They brew it right there, so you know it's fresh, and there's something there for everyone. Their three main beers, Rutting Elk Red, Powderhound Pilsner, and Grumpy Bear Honey Wheat are delicious, but if you are in the mood for something else, there are several other kinds to choose from, including seasonal beers (like pumpkin in the autumn!!). If you can't choose, grab a taster set and try them all! And, if beer isn't for you, they also brew their own sodas: Root Beer, Cream Soda, Orange Soda, and Black Cherry Soda.

If you're ever in the area, make sure you stop in to The Grizzly Paw. The burgers might be Angry, but your belly won't be.


Follow us on Twitter: @searedfoodblog

2 comments:

Joie de vivre said...

Looks like great food!

Stephanie said...

It truly is a very yummy restaurant. If you're ever in the area, make a stop there. It's a great way to get those calories back that you burn while hiking haha, not that it's counter productive or anything ... :)

Post a Comment

Subscribe