5.2.10

What's in Your Super Bowl?

Posted by Courtney |



THIS BLOG HAS MOVED. IT IS NOW AT SEARED.CA. CLICK HERE TO BE REDIRECTED.


If I was to host a Super Bowl party this weekend, which I am not because Brady Quinn will not be gracing the field, this is what I'd throw at my guests:

First thing's first: Bevvies. This is easy. Beer. Not Mexican beer, not Budweiser, but a real robust beer with flavor. I'm thinking Sleeman's Honey Brown, Alexander Keith's or maybe Moosehead. Beyond cold. Rootbeer and Ginger Ale for the kiddies, pregos and straight edgers.

For the health nuts in my circle of friends and family: Hahaha, go home.

For the main event, I would probably do my super spicy, falling off the bones grilled ribs. These start with a paste rubbed on them 24 hours in advance, consisting of cayenne pepper, fresh cracked black pepper, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, a pinch of cumin, two pinches of dry mustard and lots of kosher salt. The consistency must be paste. SMEAR and leave in the fridge for 24 hours. Peaking is allowed. Pull out of the fridge and let them come to room temp, wipe off excess paste, then throw them in the oven and bake about an hour at 350, covered in foil. Then throw them on a grill and slather them with BBQ sauce and let grill until they nicely carmelize, then turn and do the same on the other side. My BBQ sauce: campbell's tomato soup, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, white vinegar, mustard seends, salt and pepper and just make it to taste. I never measure. I prefer mine extra vinegar-y and I love excess mustard seeds beause I love the little pop of them in my mouth. John, not so much. Of course, the mustard seeds are going to make it a bit spicy, so if there are kids or spice-tarded people present, go mild on 'em.

I'd have to get John to do his buffalo wings because they are fantastic. I know there's some marinating involved, as well a lot of butter, and deep frying so if you're looking to take a few inches off the hips, maybe you shouldn't have come to my Super Bowl party, nes pas?

Ok, Ok, bean salad for some freshness. Canned: chick peas, kidney beans, corn. Drain, put in a bowl. Mince some fresh garlic. Do the same with some fresh parsley. I like a lot of garlic but seriously a little goes a long way because it's raw. Extra virgin olive oil, squeeze half a lemon, and pour in some white vinegar (I usually use pickling vinegar for extra vinegar-y tartness) and salt and pepper to taste. Some people have been known to throw a bit of fresh mint in. Yummy.

Baked Beans!! Ok, so crisp up some bacon in a frying pan. Like lots of it. This is not Wimbledon. This is the NFL. Take out the bacon and put aside. Throw into the bacon fat in the pan, some diced onions. Let them sweat out in the bacony goodness for a while. Then throw them in a pot filled with some deep browned beans, Heinz is my fave - no super sweet ones though, like maple or what-have-you. Just plain old, deep brown beans. Throw in your bacon, add a lot of regular prepared mustard, Worcestershire sauce, a bit of garlic powder and a tiny bit of salt. The bacon is going to add some salt, so go easy. Then bake in the oven at 325 in a casserole dish until the top starts to get a little browner and crusty. I like to serve it with sliced, toasted and garlic-rubbed pieces of french bread as a sort of scoop.

So, what are you serving at your Super Bowl party?


, , , , , , , , , , , ,


Follow us on Twitter: @searedfoodblog

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe