19.2.10

Thursday is For Sandwiches

Posted by Courtney |



THIS BLOG HAS MOVED. IT IS NOW AT SEARED.CA. CLICK HERE TO BE REDIRECTED.


When I was in my early 20s, my Dad started a deli. I was granted the supreme honor of running it and I came up with the concept of the stackable sandwich. Basically we would allow people to purchase unlimited amounts of shaved deli meats to add to their sandwich at 100 grams at a time. That, on top of the fact that every veggie every known to be eaten by man were in the sandwiches, made these sammies huge. We would then measure them and take a polaroid to keep track of the tallest ones. It was a good marketing ploy to upsell on a simple sandwich. Once you held the title of creating the tallest sandwich, you definitely wanted to hold on to it at pretty much all costs. Anyway. I survived the deli scene and have grown since then but I still love making me those mile high stackable sandwiches. John absolutely loves them too.

Last night we had deli night and, though the sandwiches themselves were not as huge as the record-setting ones at my Dad's deli, they were pretty fantastic. We started with fresh baked sandwich buns from the bakery, with a little bit of cream cheese, mayo, regular mustard and dijon, added slices of cuke, tomato, avocado, aged cheddar, sweet orange pepper, and shaved red onions. Then there was shaved roast beef draped all over it, butter lettuce, fresh cracked pepper and salt. They were so good we had to take a picture for old time's sake:



And of course, my baby boy had to have his own version, the "Sandwich Deconstructed" which was being watched ever so patiently by my other baby boy, Rocky:



All in all, a successful deli night. Next time, roasted turkey on sourdough!


, , , , , ,


Follow us on Twitter: @searedfoodblog

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe