14.4.10

Pour, Dip, Drizzle: My Top Ten Favorite Condiments

Posted by Courtney |



THIS BLOG HAS MOVED. IT IS NOW AT SEARED.CA. CLICK HERE TO BE REDIRECTED.


I'm a saucy person. Moisture levels are very important in what I eat. I refuse to eat french fries on their own, must dip raw veggies, and every hamburger, sandwhich and hot dog is dressed to the max. Here are my top ten favorite condiments that help with this:

1. Vinegar: as I said, I will not eat french fries on their own. I must have a dip of some kind, or something on them. Vinegar is by far my favorite on french fries, and if it's malt vinegar, that's all the better. A little malt vinegar, a little salt, mmmm.

2. Frank's Red Hot Sauce: I love cayenne pepper, heat and vinegar, so what's not to love about Frank's? It may not be the hottest, but it has a mouth-watering flavor that is hard to beat.

3. Soy Sauce: I use soy sauce for a lot of different things, marinades, sauces, dips, etc, but I also love a simple bowl of steamed rice drizzled with China Lily dark soy sauce. Delicious.

http://legacy.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060607/images/sushi3.jpg4. Sushi Itto Chipotle Mayo: Sushi Itto is a chain of sushi restaurants in Mexico and the USA. There is one where I lived in Mexico and it is unlike any sushi you've had before. There are a few rolls that are served with a chipotle mayo that is beyond delicious, so much so that they sell it in supermarkets. Another of my favorite eateries in Playa Del Carmen, Aguas Chiles, buys the stuff en masse to serve on their tostadas and I daydream of it daily.

5. Chinese Dumpling Dipping Sauce - Generally made with some combination of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and ginger, I add a little sesame oil to mine and it's really the only reason I eat pot stickers as much as I do.

Colon Cleaner (Professor Phardtpounders)6. Professor Phardtpounder's Colon Cleaner: Don't laugh, I am dead serious. This stuff is very, very hot, otherwise I'd put it at number one. When I bought this hot sauce, I found myself inventing things to eat just to put this on. My meals became vessels for Phardtpounder's. Why is it so good? It's made from HabaƱeros and is mustard based. Most hot sauces focus on the heat, not the flavor. This stuff is so thrillingly delicious, I wish it was a little less spicy so I could handle more at a time. Check it out: hotsauce.com

7. Zoo Dip - There is a chain of diners in western Canada called White Spot. They serve deep fried zucchini sticks, which I don't really like, called zoo sticks and they serve it with a dip called zoo dip. Some say it is made by mixing sour cream and ranch, but I'm not convinced. I always, always ask for a bit on the side for my fries.

8. Uncle Ben's Country Dill Dip - I am allowed my guilty pleasures. This stuff is amazing with raw veggies, especially cauliflower. I could eat pounds upon pounds of raw cauliflower with Uncle Dan's Country Dill Dip.

9. Lime/Lemon Juice - In Mexico, locals squeeze lime and sometimes chili over their fries. It's fantastic. Lime and lemon juices are also good for everything, from making sauces and marinating steaks, to healing broken hearts. Yes, it's true. Lemons and limes are the answers to all of life's great problems.

10. Jack Daniel's Barbecue Sauce - I wish I were kidding. I'm not. This stuff is so damned tasty it once again, turns all food into mere vessels for getting this sauce in your belly. It's finger-licktastic is what it is. It's dip-a-digit-before-you-glaze good. It's don't-tell-anyone-else-you-bought-it good.



, , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Follow us on Twitter: @searedfoodblog

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe